Becoming an adult is a significant transition for all children. For parents of children with disabilities, this transition requires thoughtful, person-centred consideration and planning across many areas such as further education, training and employment, self-advocacy, living arrangements, healthcare, and social relationships and participation.

Starting early and creating a transition plan for your child is a good idea.  You can speak with a Kiind Peer Navigator for specific information and sources of support in relation to the various areas of consideration.


Kick-starting your child's career journey

Practical tips and information to help families plan constructively for their child’s future employment.

Planning for a Good Life

A person-centred document that covers areas of planning for either yourself and your loved one.

Supporting your young person through transition to adult health services

Planning and preparation for transition from the paediatric to the adult health service can reduce anxiety and stress for yourself and your young person.

Transition information for parents of a young person with intellectual disability

This fact sheet provides some useful information and guidance through some of the common issues you might come across during the transition process.

Frequently asked questions

At what age do children leave the paediatric health system?

Most children leave the paediatric health system at the age of 16. In some cases, children can stay in the paediatric system until they turn 18. This is usually for children with complex care needs. All emergency admissions need to attend the adult emergency department over the age of 16 unless special approval is provided by the paediatric emergency department.

I am so overwhelmed with my child leaving school? Where do I start?

Contact the team at Kiind and they can step you through the different options.  This can include support with education, employment, living arrangements, community participation and healthcare.  It is essential when planning for the future that it is always person-centred.  It’s never too early to start but remember to breath and take one step at a time.

We're thinking of setting up a microenterprise for our daughter but we’ve got no idea where to start.

Setting up a microenterprise can be a fabulous employment option for your child that can align with their interests, abilities and availability while connecting them to their local community.

Depending on your child’s interests, a small scale business can be easy to start and often requires minimal capital.  Take a look at the four-part video series, developed by Valued Lives Microenterprise Project, that explores the process of creating a microenterprise for people seeking innovative pathways to employment.

What are independent living options, how do they work and what role does the NDIS play in helping to finance this?

Individualised Living Options (ILO) is a package of NDIS funding tailored around the specific needs of an individual, that allows them to be supported to live in a home environment of their choice.

An ILO is not the physical ‘bricks and mortar’ home, but involves home-based supports that your son or daughter needs to live where and with whom they wish.

To find out more about how it works, take a look at the ILO toolkit which provides helpful information for those interested in pursuing an Individualised Living Option through the NDIS.

Where can I begin to look for work for my son who is leaving school soon?

JobAccess is the national hub for workplace and employment information for people with disability, employers and service providers. You can check out the JobAccess website where you’ll find helpful information on finding work, changing jobs, accessing DES providers and workplace modifications to help job seekers find and maintain employment. You can also review the Useful Organisations listed under Employment on our website or speak with a Kiind Peer Navigator for more information and support.